When it comes to cosmetics and skincare I know I’m not the only one who low-key holds onto their beauty products for so long. You may get that feeling deep down inside like you might just want to cry if you have to throw out any of your beauty products, at least I know I feel like that. We all know buying makeup can be a major expense. So we have those beauty products that we just love to hold onto forever but have you ever actually took a minute to think what harm these products may do to our skin if they are expired?
To help you guys figure out when the time has come to get rid of and replace your beauty products I decided to put together a list on how long of a shelf life your beauty products have after opening them, signs on when you should throw out your cosmetics, and ways to keep your cosmetics fresh.
How long of a shelf life do your cosmetics have?
- Foundation: 6-12 months
- Concealer: 6-12 months
- Face Powder: 12-24 months
- Bronzer: 24 months
- Blush: 12-24 months
- Primer: 6 months
- Sunscreen: 12 months
- Face Moisturizer: For a tub after 6 months and for a pump moisturizer after 1 year
- Mascara: 3-6 months
- Eyeshadow: 24 months
- Eyeliner: 12 months
- Liquid eyeliner: 6 months
- Lip gloss: 12 months
- Lipstick/Lipliner: 24 months
Signs on When to Throw Out Your Beauty Products
- The texture or smell of your product has changed
- The color of your product has changed
- You recently may have caught a reaction or infection from your product
- You may be getting a lot more breakouts than usual
Ways on How to Keep Your Makeup Looking Fresh
- Clean your makeup brushes often. You should clean your makeup brushes at least once a week that way you prevent any buildup of the product on your brushes. Cleaning makeup brushes may be a pain but you will be surprised on how much product rinses out of your brushes. So imagine if you didn’t clean your brushes once a week!
- After using your products make sure to always tightly close your products.
- According to the FDA, any cosmetics that are left out in a warm environment can lead to the growth of microorganisms.
Did you guys know about these expired dates? Let’s chat together in the comment section below and don’t forget to subscribe!