When To Throw Out Your Beauty Products

When it comes to cosmetics and skincare I know I’m not the only one who low-key holds onto their beauty products for so long. You may get that feeling deep down inside like you might just want to cry if you have to throw out any of your beauty products, at least I know I feel like that. We all know buying makeup can be a major expense. So we have those beauty products that we just love to hold onto forever but have you ever actually took a minute to think what harm these products may do to our skin if they are expired?

To help you guys figure out when the time has come to get rid of and replace your beauty products I decided to put together a list on how long of a shelf life your beauty products have after opening them, signs on when you should throw out your cosmetics, and ways to keep your cosmetics fresh.

How long of a shelf life do your cosmetics have?

Face

• Foundation: 6-12 months
  • Concealer: 6-12 months
  • Face Powder: 12-24 months
  • Bronzer: 24 months
  • Blush: 12-24 months
  • Primer: 6 months
  • Sunscreen: 12 months
  • Face Moisturizer: For a tub after 6 months and for a pump moisturizer after 1 year

Eyes

• Mascara: 3-6 months
  • Eyeshadow: 24 months
  • Eyeliner: 12 months
  • Liquid eyeliner: 6 months

Lips

• Lip gloss: 12 months
  • Lipstick/Lipliner: 24 months

Signs on When to Throw Out Your Beauty Products

1. The texture or smell of your product has changed
  2. The color of your product has changed
  3. You recently may have caught a reaction or infection from your product
  4. You may be getting a lot more breakouts than usual

Ways on How to Keep Your Makeup Looking Fresh

• Clean your makeup brushes often. You should clean your makeup brushes at least once a week that way you prevent any buildup of the product on your brushes. Cleaning makeup brushes may be a pain but you will be surprised on how much product rinses out of your brushes. So imagine if you didn’t clean your brushes once a week!
  • After using your products make sure to always tightly close your products.
  • According to the FDA, any cosmetics that are left out in a warm environment can lead to the growth of microorganisms.

Did you guys know about these expired dates? Let’s chat together in the comment section below and don’t forget to subscribe!

April Xo

13 Comments

1. August 21, 2019 / 11:25 pm

I am soooo guilty of this! I realize it when I start getting pimples and it’s not added up lol but I’ve gotten way better now at getting rid of beauty products. Plus I wash my brushes weekly so it’s not too bad. I love your blog! Great post!

• April
      Author
      August 22, 2019 / 3:11 pm

Aw, Thank you so much! Don’t forget to subscribe to receive updates on new posts!
      -April Xo

2. August 22, 2019 / 9:06 am

Thanx for sharing this. You just reminded me to do makeup spring cleaning.

• April
      Author
      August 22, 2019 / 3:10 pm

Aw, Thank You!
      -April Xo

3. Jesha Mari Sandig
    August 22, 2019 / 9:27 am

I did not know about makeup expiring at a specific time until now. I have a box full of expired stuff I bought for class. Time to throw them out I guess.

• April
      Author
      August 22, 2019 / 3:09 pm

Aw, I’m sorry it has come to that time to throw out some of your products!
      -April Xo

4. August 22, 2019 / 2:00 pm

I needed this, I always knew certain products need to be thrown out in 6 months, but lipstick and lipliner lol it never crossed my mind. It’s so hard to part ways with limited edition lipsticks.

• April
      Author
      August 22, 2019 / 3:07 pm

When I first started to collect makeup I didn’t either I was pretty shocked I didn’t want to get rid of any of my stuff haha
      -April Xo

5. August 22, 2019 / 7:06 pm

I’m very guilty of hanging on to make-up that’s way past its shelf life. I am terrible when it comes to throwing stuff out but I finally did it yesterday — and finally got a new mascara!

• April
      Author
      August 23, 2019 / 8:58 am

That’s awesome! Which mascara did you get??
      -April Xo

6. August 25, 2019 / 12:10 pm

I had no idea about makeup expiring until a few years ago! This was also a good reminder that I need to clean my make up brushes!!

7. August 28, 2019 / 11:27 am

I recently went through my makeup and threw out everything that has expired and it feels so good to have it all organised again!! xx

Leave a reply...